The mission of the High Springs Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in the City of High Springs by working in partnership with the community. We will preserve the peace and uphold the law within the framework of the United States Constitution. Our mandate is to operate with honor and integrity, while at all times conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards, accountability and transparency to maintain public confidence.
The Internal Affairs Unit
Internal Affairs primary function is to receive, process and investigate complaints made against members of the High Springs Police Department. When a complaint is received, every effort is made to ensure a thorough, timely, and fair investigation of the allegation(s) contained in the complaint. The openness of the Department in the acceptance of a complaint is a principle element of professionalism and community responsiveness. All complaints are processed and reviewed by the Internal Affairs Unit and submitted to the Chief of Police for review and final disposition. Internal Affairs Unit duties include:
- Investigating alleged misconduct by Department Members.
- Providing assistance to Supervisors in investigations of alleged misconduct by Department Members.
- Investigating critical incidents (e.g., Officer involved shootings, etc.).
- Record, register, and control the investigation of complaints against Members.
- Maintain the confidentiality of the Internal Affairs Unit’s investigations and records.
- Prepare an annual report of incidents investigated and/or logged by the Internal Affairs Unit.